Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Easter Bunny 2011

Hudson was very excited to learn the Easter Bunny would be visiting his school for a photo op.  However, he seemed a teensy bit less excited when I picked him up after school.  I realized why when he asked me if there was a person inside the Easter Bunny at school.  I could tell he knew the truth so I had to fess up and come up with a quick explanation.  I can't remember my exact response but I kept it simple and to the point.  He seemed very satisfied with what I said and looked forward to future Easter Bunny encounters.  This boy is too smart!  I never questioned these things as a kid.  I happily accepted the fact that the world was full of magical people and creatures that would visit me and leave fun surprises for me to enjoy throughout the year!

London, on the other hand, is not a fan of the Easter Bunny at all just yet but I know she will love filling her basket with eggs when it is time for the egg hunt!

I like, my friend, Beth's interpretation of the Easter Bunny picture: It's like he's saying, "I'm right here.  Just smile, and it will be over soon!"


So many questions, not enough answers...Here are a handful of questions I have received from Hudson regarding the Easter Bunny.

1. Where does the Easter Bunny live?  I mean I know Santa lives at the North Pole, does the Easter Bunny live there too?
   This is the most plausible answer I found: The Easter Bunny lives in a very deep hole in the ground (also called a burrow) which cannot be reached by humans. The exact location of the Easter Bunny's home is top secret, classified information. This is to protect the Easter Bunny's massive stockpiles of colored eggs, jelly beans and chocolate bunnies.

2.  Does the Easter Bunny bring me lots of toys?

3. Does the Easter Bunny talk?  (He remembered taking pictures with the Easter Bunny last year and he noticed the Easter Bunny had a mouth that didn't move.)

4. Does the Easter Bunny have a tongue?

5. Will the Easter Bunny be hiding the eggs at my school too? (I'm not sure how to explain multiple visits from the Easter Bunny but I'm sure I will come up with something once I commit to thinking about it!)

I felt unprepared with all of these questions so I did what any mom would do and I scoured the internet for answers.  I came across some interesting Easter Bunny facts:

The Easter Bunny was introduced to the United States by the German settlers who arrived in the Pennsylvania Dutch country during the 18th century.  The arrival of the Osterhase was considered one of "childhood's greatest pleasures", similar to the arrival of Kris Kringle on Christmas Eve.  According to the tradition, children would build brightly colored nests, often out of caps and bonnets, in secluded areas of their homes. The "Oschter Haws" would, if the children had been good, lay brightly colored eggs in the nest. As the tradition spread, the nest has become the manufactured, modern Easter basket, and the placing of the nest in a secluded area has become the tradition of hiding baskets. (So the Germans are responsible for Kris Kringle and the Easter Bunny!)

Eggs, like rabbits and hares, are fertility symbols of antiquity. Since birds lay eggs and rabbits and hares give birth to large litters in the early spring, these became symbols of the rising fertility of the earth at the Vernal Equinox.

No comments: