Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Big Boy Bed

A week or two before Christmas we decided to turn Hudson's crib into a toddler bed. I had been holding out as long as I could because we have pretty dangerous stairs that I didn't want him to be climbing down in the middle of the night. However, one night it became appearant that it was time to make the change. I put him to bed after our usual routine and went down stairs to clean up the kitchen. I turned around and there was Hudson standing quietly at the edge of the kitchen holding his blanket. It scared me half to death because I wasn't expecting to see him standing there! I carried him back up stairs and laid him back in his crib. Before I made it to the stairs I heard a thump and the pitter patter of little feet running out of his room. After the third time, he finally remained in his bed and fell asleep. After witnessing his escape I noticed how easily he could climb over the railing. It was like it wasn't even there! Now that he had discovered how easy it was to get out, it had become impossible to keep him in the there.

When the weekend arrived, Jason got busy transforming the crib into a bed. I was sad and nervous. It's hard to believe its alread time to say good-bye to the crib and accept that Hudson is no longer a little baby. : (

Hudson, however, was excited beyond words about his new bed!! He LITERALLY did a summersault into the bed! I think it was probably the best Christmas present we could have given him. It now has multiple uses. His imagination doesn't just see a bed...it sees a car, a bus, a train, a plane, a trampoline, and a million other fun things! He will jump and jump and jump and crash all over in his bed. He tumbles and rolls. And he drives!

It is hard to catch on video because I always have to be a participant but when he pretends that he is driving his bed he will go to the open part of his bed , pat it, and tell me, "sit mamma.". So I sit and he buckles me in. (it's like we switch roles) Then he will go sit on the railing and steer his car and before I know he says, "school mamma!" and we have arrived at school. He will come unbuckle me and one time I even had to pretend that he was carrying me to school. "School" is the part of his bathroom where his sink is. Then he picks me up and asks me about my day and we head home! It is awesome! I love watching him pretend! One day the part of his bathroom where his bathtub and toilet are was my parents house. He was holding my hand and walking me over to the door when he said, "Papa's poorch!". Then he knocked on the door and called out, "Papa? Gigi?". He opened the door, we walked in, and he gave imaginary Papa and Gigi hugs! It was so cool to see all of that come out of his little mind.

Here are a few videos of Hudson playing in his bed. He was distracted by the camera so I had to keep prompting him and it just wasnt the same. At least you can kind of get the jest though. In the last video, Hudson is taking me and his snake to his playroom (you can see the new doors Jason put on) which he is pretending is the toy store. We still have to paint the playroom and add some shelving but it is finally coming along. Jason has lots of ideas for it. He gets to decorate the playroom since I decorated Hudson's bedroom. He wants the playroom to have an airplane theme since that is what he originally wanted for Hudson's bedroom.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww I can't believe they get big so fast! He is such a smart boy! Oh and a very handsome boy too!

Lincoln said...

What a cute little climber! He is definitely all boy.

Unknown said...

I meant to tell you his room looks soooo good! You did a wonderful job decorating and painting in there!